Noms: Chocolate Chip Muffins
These are arguably the best chocolate chip muffins I have ever made and possibly actually tasted in the known universe. Plus, they are super easy to make. Yes, yes, you can have it all.
I originally found this recipe here and have adapted below for my own tastes. Mainly I have cut down on the sugar, it was insane and they taste just the same. Also, these are dairy free!! Yay! Substitute the milk for soy and if you’re like me and buy the cheap chocolate chips, they are dairy free too, winning! You could swap out the flour for Gluten Free baking mix too. The secret to these is totally the way the eggs are whisked with the sugar, it makes them do something amazing.
Crunchy Chocolate Chip Muffins
1 1/2 cups plain flour
1t baking powder
pinch of salt
3/4 cup of caster sugar
1/3 cup of oil
1/3 cup of milk
1/2 cup of chocolate chips
Raw sugar for sprinkling on the top
- Pre-heat the oven to 180ºc (about 150ºc in a fan forced oven) and get your muffin tray ready, line with 8 cases (recipe calls for 6 but it totally makes 8).
- Sift together your flour, baking powder and salt into a large bowl.
- In another bowl, measure out your sugar and add the egg. Whisk with an electric beater until it becomes pale (referred to as the ‘ribbon stage’ when you lift out your beaters). Add the oil and milk, mixing well to combine.
- Scrape your mixture into the bowl with the flour and mix gently until just combined, add the chocolate chips carefully. Your batter will be quite thick.
- Fill your muffin liners so they are above the tops, in a dome shape. Don’t panic, it’ll be sweet. Sprinkle the tops with your raw sugar (dooooo it).
- Pop in the oven for 15-20 minutes until they are golden on top and a knife comes out clean when you stab them. Leave them to cool in the pan for 10 mins to keep them moist, then pop on a cooling rack.
Please, try not to burn your mouth when you are eating these bad boys fresh, ok? Store them in an airtight container and the next day when you tuck into one, nuke it in the microwave for 15 seconds to fool yourself into thinking they are fresh out of the oven….