Back on Track: New Job!

2 Flares 2 Flares ×

OMD

Last year was a weird one. At the start of the year I thought I was in a really great place, I had a job that fit well around my life and it paid the bills. It wasn’t very exciting, but after a truly horrible 2012 (trumped only by an even worse 2011…) it was ok for me to be in a job that was just a job. About midway through last year, where I worked had a massive restructure, people were laid off, branches were closed and I was plonked into a role that while was ok it wasn’t great, but hey, it was a job and I know I was lucky to have one. It was around this time as well that I decided enough was enough with my relationship, and gave that a farewell, so being in this ok job was, well, ok.

It was about September when I had gotten my head back into a better place post break up and work restructure, no longer was I satisfied with an ok job, instead, I wanted to be inspired again and love heading to work each day in a job I really enjoyed, that would take me places. I didn’t want just a job, I wanted to get back on track with my career. I discussed this with my current boss the potential to progress and some ideas I had (which went down like a lead balloon) so knowing there was zilch opportunity where I was, I started to look for something that would fit the bill.

Once I got back out there meeting with recruiters and potential new employers it was eye opening; I had skills people wanted, experience that was literally being cried out for and suddenly a whole new pool of opportunity was in front of me, very different to when I had looked in 2012, but I think that was a reflection on how I was feeling at the time. When it came time to choosing between a couple of offers I had on the table, I am so, so pleased that I went with the one I chose! I now work with a great team of people; they ask for my opinions, they want to draw from the skills that I have and actually get the things that I do and why I do them. I now work with like-minded people and can see opportunity in front of me to grow and develop, and where I am encouraged to do so — and it’s f%#ing awesome.

So, what am I doing now? I’m working for an agency called Fuse that specialises in activations, public relations and social media, they are part of OMD which is part of the global Omnicom Media Group. I am an Account Manager, working on the social media team for some of New Zealands biggest and most recognisable brands. And I couldn’t be happier!

I know it sounds like a total sop, and I don’t even care! Bring on 2014, this year is going to be amazing.

Image: Having breakfast with one of my colleagues (Steph from @BeautyLustNZ) on the roof top balcony at our office, such an amazing way to start the day!

If you like this, you might also fancy:

In My Neck of The Woods
Happy Easter
Get Fit (Not Skinny)

8 Comments on Back on Track: New Job!

1. Ali
    February 26, 2014 at 11:53 am (8 months ago)

Yay for you! Awesome to hear you’ve got a job you love doing something you’re amazing at!

• Jessica
      February 26, 2014 at 8:24 pm (8 months ago)

Thank you so much, Ali! It really feels so good, even more so when I’m sacrificing spending time with the sprog, good to know it’s for something that makes me happy xx

2. Pip
    February 26, 2014 at 7:59 pm (8 months ago)

I recently stumbled across your blog and I love it. This article is great, its inspiring and encouraging. Thank you

• Jessica
      February 26, 2014 at 8:24 pm (8 months ago)

Thank you so Much Pip! And that’s for coming across the blog, I hope you enjoy reading it, always love to hear what people think, glad I could inspire you a little xx

3. Helen
    March 4, 2014 at 10:24 am (8 months ago)

Go you! Seriously, that’s awesome. It is actually so hard to find a place to thrive in and one that fits just right, so congrats : )

• Jessica
      March 4, 2014 at 11:21 am (8 months ago)

Thanks so much Helen!! It’s really nice to be in such a positive place :)

4. Maggie Lin
    March 24, 2014 at 10:46 pm (7 months ago)

I loved this post. =) I’m currently not at a good place/place I want to be. Do you have any tips to get into the marketing/media industry? Your job sounds like something I want to do but feel I’m lacking a little something cos I do get interviews but just not the job. Thanks in advance for your help, hopefully this isn’t too odd.

• Jessica
      March 29, 2014 at 1:19 pm (7 months ago)

Hi Maggie! Thanks so much for reading, and your question; I promise it’s not odd! Without knowing your exact situation, I would get in touch with specialist recruitment companies, tell them the kind of job that you want and they should be able to give you advice on your exact experience and where you need a little extra, or where you can promote great skills you already have. There are lots of specialist companies out there, I would sign up to the Stop Press newsletter (if you haven’t already) to find out the companies that are advertising the jobs you like the look of. Prep as much as you can for your interviews and when you do have an interview, just take your time and think about your answers carefully. Good luck! I hope you get to a better place, it will come, you’re halfway there as you already want it :) xx